In 1999, Asian Association for Sport Management (hereafter called as AASM) was organizing by someenthusiastic scholars from Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, China, Japan, and Korea. In September of 2002, AASM was formally established in Korea and hosted its historically first annual conference at National Korean Sports University, Seoul, Korea.
AASM is a professional organization in seeking of academic together with practical research and promotion in the field of sport management. The missions of AASM are as follows :
1. To encourage and promote original research in both theoretical and applied aspects of sport management theory and practice.
2. To assist in the dissemination of information and knowledge base in sport management.
3. To assist in the development of sport management programs and professional preparation programs for the mutual benefit and progress of AASM countries.
4. To organize or assist various congresses to promote and strengthen the purpose of AASM.
5. To publish proceedings and journals related to sport management.
6. To facilitate and develop relationship among academic institutions in Asia through participation in AASM programme of activities.
7. To collaborate with other associations having similar purposes.
Since its establishment, AASM explores its membership nations by degrees. Up to today, the membership nations of AASM contain: China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mongolia, Singapore, Philippine,Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam. In additions, there are more and more nations want to join AASM, such as Iraqand Indonesia.
Moreover, in 2012, AASM has alliance with “North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM)”, “Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand (SMAANZ)”, “European Association for Sport Management (EASM)”, “African Sport Management Association (ASMA)”, and “Latin America Association forSport Management (LAASM)” to form the “World Association for Sport Management (WASM)” to promote and share with sport management professional knowledge around the world.Since 2002, AASM EC members have voted the presidents of AASM as follows :
- 2002-2004 President Lee (National Korean Sports University,Korea)
- 2004-2006 President Qing (National Beijing Sport University, China)
- 2008-2010 President Kao (National Taiwan Sport University, Taiwan)
- 2010-2012 President Nilmanee (Chandrakasem Rajabhat University, Thailand)
- 2012-2014 President Nasanbat (Mongolia Sport and Physical Culture Ministry, Mongolia)
- In additions, AASM has successfully hosted various professional events within its membership nations as
- 2000 AASM funding meeting in Beijing, China
- 2001 AASM funding meeting in Singapore
- 2002 AASM 1st Annual Conference in Seoul, Korea
- 2004 AASM 2nd Annual Conference and EC Meeting in Beijing, China
- 2005 AASM EC Meeting in Ping Tung, Taiwan
- 2006 AASM 3rd Annual Conference in Tokyo, Japan
- 2007 AASM EC Meeting in Taoyuan, Taiwan
- 2008 AASM 4th Annual Conference and EC Meeting in Bangkok, Thailand
- 2009 AASM 5th Annual Conference and EC Meeting in Taipei, Taiwan
- 2010 AASM EC Meeting in Hochiminh City, Vietnam
- 2010 AASM 6th Annual Conference and EC Meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 2011 AASM 7th Annual Conference and EC Meeting in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- 2012 AASM EC Meeting in Pataya, Thailand
- 2012 AASM 8th Annual Conference and EC Meeting in Chan Chung, China
- 2013 AASM EC Meeting in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- 2013 AASM 9th Annual Conference and EC Meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 2014 AASM EC Meeting in Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2014 AASM 10th Annual Conference and EC Meeting in Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- 2015 AASM EC Meeting in Bangkok, Thailand
- 2015 AASM 11th Annual Conference and EC Meeting in Langkawi, Malaysia
- 2016 AASM EC Meeting in Taoyuan, Taiwan
- 2016 AASM 12th Annual Conference and EC Meeting in Hochiminh City, Vietnam
- 2017 AASM EC Meeting in Bangkok, Thailand
- 2017 AASM 13th Annual Conference and EC Meeting in Yongpyong, Korea
- 2018 AASM EC meeting Tokyo, Japan
- 2018 14th AASM Annual Conference, EC Meeting and General Assembly in Manila, Philippines
- 2019 AASM EC Meeting in Taipei, Taiwan
- 2019 15th AASM Annual Conference, EC Meeting and General Assembly in Tokyo, Japan
Right now, the membership nations of AASM have increased to China, India, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea,Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippine, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam. Additionally, AASM Annual Conference has established its reputation; many membership nations are willing to host its annual conferences or EC meetings. Up to today, the annual conferences and EC meetings for the coming years have been arranged, such as 2013 Annual Conference will be in India, one of the 2013 EC Meeting will be in Singapore,the 2014 Annual Conference will be in Taiwan, and the 2015 Annual Conference will be in Malaysia. Although AASM has made progress in its performances gradually, it is still necessary for AASM to analyze the situations which this organization faces with and develops ideal plan to provide better services to its members.
2012 (August to December)
1. To develop the 2012-2014 Strategic Plan.
2. To identify the 2012-2014 EC members from each membership nation.
3. To settle the personnel appointment of 2012-2014AASM Secretariats Office.
4. To publish ASMR for 1 issue.
5. To host 1 EC meeting (if time is available)
6. To re-engineer the AASM organization.
7. To identify the policy of membership fees.
8. To find out the target market of AASM.
1. To increase at least 3 nations as new members.
2. To publish ASMR for 2 issues, and AASM e- newsletters for 2 issues.
3. To host AASM EC meeting at least 2 times for per year.
4. The numbers of participants are at least 300 for 2013 AASM Annual Conference.
5. Registration successfully in an ideal nation.
6. To set up the permanent secretariat office in a specific place successfully.
7. To provide the internship opportunity for AASM membership nations’ sport management undergraduate/graduate students.
8. To attend at least 2 area sport management professional organizations and WASM meetings.
1. To continue the same goals as 2013
2. To start sport facility manager accreditation campaign.
With Best Regards,
Dr. Oyunbat Nasanbat
President of AASM
The Develpment of AASM